This art consists of paintings, drawings, prints and photographs. The use of oils, watercolours, tempera, acrylics, inks, pencils and can also include graphic/mixed media and paint processes.
QUE: Height and Width
- Closing date for all entries in this category is on Monday 24 JUNE 2019.
- Mounting of works are not necessary. It is expensive and there is no need for it.
- The class into which the work is being entered must be indicated on the back of the artwork. The name of the candidate, grade, age, school, and address must be clearly displayed on the back of the work.
- A maximum of three (5) works per candidate may be submitted. A separate entry form accompanied by the appropriate fee must accompany each entry.
- All entries must be the ORIGINAL work of the candidate AND NOT THAT OF THE TEACHER!
- The Festival does not pin-down fixed rules for themes etc. We feel that we would like to see creativity without boundaries. Creativity will be of utmost importance in the higher grades.
- Adjudicators will judge artworks according to grade, age and skill. Teachers should be careful that a Grade 6 candidate does not submit a work that appears to be the work of a Grade 2 candidate and the work of a Grade 1 candidate does not look like the work of a Grade 7 learner. Adjudicators complain (not only at our festival, but many festivals in the Eastern Cape) about this all the time.
- Art Teachers should finally realise that Grade 1 and 2 learners cannot possess the advanced fine motor skills (which is obvious in painting and drawing) that a Grade 6 and higher learner possess. It is furthermore impossible for a Grade 1, 2 and 3 learners, to show elements of art in such meticulous detail (at that age) as can be seen in some of the artworks. I am employing a panel of judges for this category in 2019 and should a judge query such an artwork, the teacher will be penalised for this. Learners will automatically receive a very low mark. The adjudicators will write extensive comments for the responsible teacher in this regard. There is a reason why festivals ask for the Grade & age of the learner. I have discussed this matter with many professional and highly trained art teachers and other individuals in Uitenhage, Port Elizabeth, Grahamstown etc. and they all agree with this.
Beans and Seeds are allowed. When learning about farm animals, use mustard seed to colour a horse’s body and yellow corn kernels for its mane and tail. In a landscape scene, use fennel seeds to colour the grass en treetops. Feel free to use whatever you find appropriate.
QUE: Height, Width and Depth
Three dimensional arts include man-made objects such as models, dioramas, games, puzzles, simulations, sculptures and other three-dimensional art works and their reproductions, exhibits, machines, clothing, toys and stitchery. The category also includes such naturally occurring objects as microscope specimens (or representations of them) and other specimens mounted for viewing.
Candidates are encouraged to use their imagination to produce fine works of art in this session. There are no boundaries to creativity and that is what we would like to see in these sessions. From sculptures, pottery, glass, stone, wood, clay, Origami, clothing, toys etc. Candidates can produce whatever tickles their fancy.
- The work may not necessarily be mounted on a firm base. The artwork itself determines whether or not a base for mounting is required or not. Please use your own discretion.
- The name of the candidate, grade, age, school and address must be clearly displayed on the artwork whether it be on the base or any other place on the artwork.
- A maximum of five (5) works per candidate may be submitted. A separate entry form accompanied by the appropriate fee must accompany each entry.
- All works must be the ORIGINAL work of the candidate.
- Creativity and Originality will be of utmost importance in the higher grades.
Definitions of sketches (sometimes) are very vague. Wikipedia has a very good description thereof and I quote:
‘A sketch is a rapidly executed freehand drawing that is not usually intended as a finished work. A sketch may serve a number of purposes: it might record something that the artist sees, it might record or develop an idea for later use or it might be used as a quick way of graphically demonstrating an image, idea or principle. Sketches can be made in any drawing medium.” The term is most often applied to graphic work executed in a dry media such as silverpoint, graphite, pencil, charcoal or paste. But it may also apply to drawing executed in pen and ink, ballpoint pen, water colour and oil paint. The latter two are generally referred to as “water colour sketches” and “oil sketches”.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- Pre-schools, Primary Schools, High Schools and Adults are encouraged to enter into this category. THIS IS THE BIGGEST CATEGORY IN THE FESTIVAL FOR 2019. THE REASON FOR THIS IS THAT WE ATTEMPT TO INVOLVE as many as possible, especially some of the more neglected communities in the Eastern Cape and in particular in the Sundays River Valley, hidden talents in these “pre-identified” areas and to conclude, to aim presenting the public and especially tourists with something which is unique to the area, portraying the craftsmanship of the inhabitants of the area. By means of this new addition to the festival, it will also help with the main PURPOSE of the Festival which is promotion, sustainability and to assist these inhabitants to earn money for their efforts.
PLEASE NOTE: By the time this syllabus is published, we are still in negotiations with some of the officials of these areas, and we cannot reveal any information unless we have it on paper. However, it can be said that THIS ART AND CRAFT session will be ALL OVER the festival premises.
- All items must be clearly labelled: Name and Surname of candidate, Contact Number, and Cost of craft/s.
- Crafts will be exhibited in a special venue for the duration of the Festival as well as the weekend of the Sports Festival. We will give the public the opportunity to browse through the artwork with the aim to give participants the opportunity to earn extra cash for their Arts and Crafts. Individuals are welcome to book their own space to exhibit their work. PLEASE CONTACT THE ORGANISER FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS OPTION.
- The works of participants sold will receive their money immediately.
- Security will be on guard especially at night to guard this venue.
- All Art and Crafts that receive a silver diploma and higher (gold diploma and gold medals) will be exhibited in the venue. All other Arts and Crafts will be returned to the responsible teacher and/or individual the week after the festival OR MIGHT EVEN BE EXHIBITED IF OTHERWISE DECIDED.