A beginner in this session is understood, a learner that has not yet reached the general music requirements as set forth by the various examination authorities for Grade 1. Please do not show additional details for example 1st year or 2nd year on the entry form. It is irrelevant. The learner entered in this session is still considered a BEGINNER as this section makes no distinction between 1st or 2nd year. ALL CANDIDATES IN THIS SESSION, IRRESPECTIVE OF THEIR AGE, ARE ADJUDICATED AS BEGINNERS IN MUSIC.
SESSION: A1 (GENERAL)
- This session focus on ALL BEGINNERS in ANY SOLO instrument except pipe organ. (for organ, see the ORGAN category)
- Candidates to provide their own instruments (other than piano).
- Candidates to provide their own accompanists (if necessary).
- Maximum time limit per piece: 1 minute and 30 seconds
- Choice of work: Own choice
- THREE (3) pieces per instrument may be submitted but candidates are reminded that it should be done on separate entry forms and the appropriate entry fees should accompany the entry forms.
- TEACHERS should refrain from entering a huge group of candidates that play the same piece over and over on the same
instrument. This is simply annoying. Take some time and find appropriate pieces for candidates. It keeps the
spirit and the mind active.
NOTE: This section is only for SOLO items. For duets (BEGINNERS), trios etc. please see the sessions for those options in this booklet.
NOTE: THE GRADING FOR THE BEGINNER SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE NORMAL GRADING SYSTEM. HEREWITH, PLEASE FIND A GENERAL TABLE OF THE GRADING SYSTEM FOR THE BEGINNER SESSION