- This session is open for the combination of instrumentalists according to the section title.
- Candidates may perform on any instrument of their choice (except organ) and must provide their own
instruments if the instrument is not a piano.
- Candidates will be assessed as an ensemble and not as individuals.
- A diploma will be issued to each candidate.
- This session is intended for candidates and not for a candidate/s together with their teacher.
- Copies of all performance works must be submitted to the adjudicator secretary and may not be returned.
- Candidates must note that the Copyright Act 98 of 1978, as amended, strictly prohibits the photocopying of sheet music without written permission form the publisher.
- Candidates may use any edition.
- Candidates are free to perform from any period: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern.
- Page turners are allowed but must not be the teacher of candidates.
- Choice of work: Own choice.
- TWO (2) items per candidate are permitted, BUT where a candidate performed as a duet, or accompanist to another candidate, such a candidate may enter more than twice.
Maximum time limit: 10 minutes
C2 - TRIOS:
Here the possibilities are also almost endless. Trio Sonatas, Piano Trio (piano, violin and cello), String Trio (violin, viola and cello), Flute, Viola and Harp, Jazz trio, Clarinet-violin-piano trio, Clarinet-violoncello and piano, Power Trios (bass guitar, drum kit), Horn Trio (Violin, Horn and Piano) etc.
C3 - QUARTETS:
String Quartets (2 Violins, a viola and cello), sometimes also: Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass.
Piano Quartet: Violin, Viola, Cello and Piano
Wind Quartet: Wind, Violin, Viola and Cello
Woodwind Quartet: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon
Saxophone Quartet: featuring 4 of the same instruments – Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone Sax
C4 - QUINTETS
Wind Quintet (Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn)
Brass Quintet (2 Trumpets, Horn, Trombone and Tuba)
Piano Quintet (2 Violins, Viola, Cello + any other instrument such as Piano, clarinet, oboe etc.)
NOTE: Other variations are possible. Teachers should use their own discretion.
Jazz Quintet – Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Piano, Bass, Drums (The Greatest Concert Ever – Charlie Parker,1953)
String Quintet – As an extension to the string quartet, a string quintet includes a 5th string instrument, usually a 2nd viola (a so-called “viola quintet), or a second cello (a “cello quintet”), or occasionally a double bass.