This competition is part of the 2019 SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL HOSTED AT KIRKWOOD HIGH SCHOOL which is held from Monday 12 August 2019 to Friday 23rd August 2019. This competition is in fact nothing new. A similar singing category is annually found in the Syllabus of the Arts and Culture Festival. The only difference now is the simple fact that this category is now a stand-alone competition presented at Provincial level. You will still find (in the syllabus) the normal non-competitive session. It is not a competition to determine the best singing talent in the Eastern Cape but instead to give interested individuals the necessary platform to showcase their given talent. It is the view and the experience of the Organizer that there are lots of untapped talent in the province awaiting an opportunity for exposure and the necessary, accessible platform.
There are lots of controversy in the South African Music Industry for quite some time now, as well as in the Education System about the importance of utilizing our local talent. The statement: “Local is lekker” is well known to everyone. Singing is not a “by-product” of the Eastern Cape. In fact, it is inherent to each of our different cultures worldwide.
OUTSTANDING CANDIDATES IN THIS COMPETITION will be entered (by the adjudicators) into three (3) distinct categories in this competition:
- Primary Schools
- High Schools
Should a participant be successful he/she will receive a “pass ticket” from the adjudicator immediately after his/her performance. This ticket indicates that he/she is selected to compete in the FINALS which (hopefully) will be on THE SAME DAY.
FINALS: The last round when the overall winners will be announced.
At the forefront of the SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL is the host KIRKWOOD HIGH SCHOOL who takes these initiatives very seriously in assisting in the overall development of each and every individual. The doors are opening to the rest of the Province in order for everyone to benefit from these great and important facets of our daily existence. This competition is not just another function. It forms an integral part of the annual Provincial Arts and Culture Festival. We are about to embark on a very serious mission to give and involve as many as possible school learners and adults to participate and to make it worth their while.
PLEASE ENSURE that you read the rules of the competition thoroughly.
SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL DIRECTOR
(Mr) Cornelius Korkie
- Only ONE entry form per candidate can be submitted.
- All entry forms must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
- Entry forms must be completed in FULL. Please do not omit detail. Writing must be clear and readable. Contact numbers are important.
- A copy of your I.D. Document is of paramount importance. Alternatively, a small photo of yourself MUST be attached. This photo can be in color or in black and white.
- Familiarize yourself with all the information in this booklet. It is important. Do not contact the organizer with questions that are already covered and explained in the booklet.
- All candidates are advised to join the SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL 2019 group on Facebook. The organizer will post regular updates and important information on this group. Participants can also join the WHATSAPP GROUP of the festival. Simply add us on 079 412 6606
- It is also important to note the age limits for this competition. The organizer will not grant any special requests.
- Candidates chosen to continue to the FINAL ROUND are bound to do so. This section must also be signed.
- The section to perform live in public during formal public concerts MUST be signed. See the advertisement at the end of this competition.
- It should also be clearly understood that the organizer cannot act as teacher/coach to candidates. However, for those interested, the festival will have a professional workshop for all finalists by a professional singing coach to assist candidates in the deeper and technical demands of proper singing technique.
- Pay attention to DATES and TIMES. Late arrivals will be immediately disqualified and candidates will forfeit their entry fee.
- All candidates should prepare themselves for an experience of a lifetime but should also bear in mind that the sun is definitely not always shining. There will be some rough times as well.
- Although we try to keep technical admin details etc. to the absolute minimum, we again urge all candidates to familiarize themselves properly of the contents of this competition.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Although the assistance of a teacher or vocal coach is of paramount importance, we request teachers and parents not to keep possible candidates away from this competition. If you are not 100% sure of a candidate, leave the decision to the judges.
- GOOD LUCK to all aspiring candidates. Come and show everybody in the EASTERN CAPE what you are capable of.
NAME: SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL 2019
KIRKWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
- Type of Competition: Pop/Contemporary Singing
- Style of Songs: Pop/Contemporary which includes Rock, Country etc.
- Language: Songs to be performed in either Afrikaans, English or isiXhosa
- Date: See inside for detailed information.
- Location: Kirkwood High School - Kirkwood – Eastern Cape.
- Prizes: See prizes for more information
- Judges: There will be a panel of judges including the Director of the Arts Festival as well as Festival Directors of various other festivals in the area.
- Entry Fees and entry types: Due to the nature of the competition, entries will be limited to SOLO and DUETS.
Solo - R150.00 per candidate
Duets - R 75.00 per candidate
Entry Forms: - Entry forms are hereby attached. Photocopies are permitted. It is imperative that ALL FIELDS ON THE ENTRY FORM MUST BE COMPLETED IN FULL.
TRANSPORT: Candidates to provide their own transport to the venue.
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: BACKING TRACKS: Candidates are only allowed to perform with a BACKING TRACK. These tracks ONLY consists of the music. There are NO VOCALS on these tracks. Candidates to provide their own backing tracks on the day of the performance to the sound technician. Candidates who do not perform with a backing track will be immediately disqualified. These tracks must be handed in on CD, DVD and/or MEMORY STICK. Tracks must be in the specific order. Please ensure that these mediums are free of any other songs, documents, videos etc. It must ONLY CONTAIN THE TWO SONGS IN SPECIFIC ORDER.
SOUND EQUIPMENT AND SOUND TECHINICIAN: The festival has recently purchased a brand new, state-of-the-art sound system to ensure excellent sound quality. The festival provides cordless microphones as well has hands-free headpieces at the choice of the candidate. These will be given to each candidate before performance and headpieces will be attached to the candidate by the sound technician.
Please ensure that your outfit (for each round) match your performance.
The FINALE will be in the form of a FORMAL PUBLIC EVENING CONCERT AND THE WINNING CANDIDATES WILL BE ABLE TO SHARE THE STAGE WITH OTHER PROFESSIONAL SINGERS FROM THE EASTERN CAPE.
|HOW DOES IT WORK?|
Due to time constraints and the availability of judges there will not be the usual, auditions, then eliminating rounds and then the final round. The ELIMINATING ROUND can be seen as your performance round. MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE VERY WELL PREPARED for this round. Should you receive a TICKET from the judges after your performance, this will imply that you are through to the FINAL round together with all of the other “winner candidates”. All of this will happen in ONE morning or ONE day. Please ensure that you have at least TWO (2) songs ready. Should they choose you for the FINALS you can always surprise with a new song. FROM THE FINAL ROUND THE OVERALL WINNERS ARE CHOSEN! THESE WINNERS will perform at a prestige evening PUBLIC concert at Kirkwood High School in the form of a mini-cheese & wine function.
ROUND 1 – ELIMINATING ROUND (candidates to perform ONE song only, BUT please prepare TWO (2) songs. Backing tracks of both songs must be ready and available on CD/DVD/MEMORY STICK.
- For the eliminating round, candidates are expected to perform ONE song.
The purpose is to determine which candidates are on pitch, have a strong voice and personality/stage presence. In addition, we will listen to aspects such as: voice clarity, diction, articulation, register, vocal ability, can the candidate communicate convincingly, style, interpretation, and also to simple things such as body language, personality etc. This is the hardest part of the competition due to candidates who possess stage fright etc.
Should you receive a TICKET from the judges DIRECTLY after your performance, this will imply that you are through to the FINAL round together with all of the other “final candidates”. All of this will happen in ONE morning or ONE day. Please ensure that you have at least TWO (2) songs ready. Should they choose you for the FINALS you can always surprise with a new song. FROM THE FINAL ROUND THE OVERALL WINNERS ARE CHOSEN!
Ticket holders must NOT LEAVE the premises of the FESTIVAL. You still have to perform in the FINALS where the OVERALL WINNERS will then be announced. The exact TIME (on the SAME DAY) will be communicated to you well in advance.
ROUND 2 (FINAL ROUND)
Successful candidates (ticket holders) from Round 1 perform in this round. Candidates to perform ANY ONE (1) song WITH BACKING TRACK. It can be the same songs as in round 1 and/or candidates may present a new song. The overall winners for this competition will be announced at the end of this session.
Depending on the number of entries received as well as the logistics of
this competition, candidates may perform in the presence of an audience. Particulars in this regard will be revealed
before the release of the final Festival Programme. The organizer of the festival will
communicate details to all teachers, candidates etc.
Winners of the SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY PROVINCIAL ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL 2019 HOSTED AT
KIRKWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AS FOLLOW:
CATEGORY A (PRIMARY
- 1ST Place
CATEGORY B (HIGH SCHOOLS)
- 1st Place
CATEGORY C (ADULTS)
- 1st Place
The following cash prizes will be awarded:
Provincial 1st Place Winner R10 000.00
Provincial 2nd Place Winner R 5 000.00
Provincial 3rd Place Winner R 2 500.00
Various other prizes will be available for this competition. These prizes will be revealed as soon as we have clarity and confirmation on this. We are still in the process to negotiate with Record Companies, Radio Stations, Guesthouses and various other businesses.
- All participating candidates will receive a Diploma. The level of performance will be indicated by the notarial seal (Gold, Silver, Bronze etc.)
- The three (3) overall winners will each receive a specially designed Diploma.
- All winners will receive Gold Medals
The three (3) overall provincial winners will each receive a trophy. Full Media Coverage
The Festival starts on Monday 12th August 2019 until Friday 23rd August 2019. Due to the fact that this syllabus is released in advance we cannot put a fixed date to all the additional competitions. The competition will take place within the timeframe of above-mentioned dates. Specific dates and times will be announced as soon as we have received all the entries for the complete Festival which is Monday 24th June 2019. Specific days and times will be communicated to you, well in advance via the festival programme which is released in advance to all participating schools, candidates, website, Facebook group, WhatsApp group as well as via telephone and/or SMS.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates are not required to submit sheet music of the songs that they perform. However, candidates are requested to submit the LYRICS of their songs, ON THE DAY of adjudication to the adjudicator. This is compulsory!
(This part is meant for you to be read over and over. Herein, you will find extremely valuable information as provided by the Organizer. You should pay careful attention to this).
1. Candidates must refrain from choosing and performing songs that are beyond their technical and emotional scope. This tip applies to ALL candidates. Age will not be considered a factor here, as the exposed finalists will perform live in public and will receive full media coverage. Very high standards will be maintained throughout the competition. In short, candidates must ensure that they meet the technical demands of the songs they choose to perform. A technical convincing performance will take you very far into the competition.
2. Ensure that the basic aspects of singing are correct: posture, pitch, register, diction, texture, pronunciation, articulation, style, interpretation etc.
3. Choose songs that highlights your range, vocal ability and personality.
4. It is imperative that you must be familiar with the content/text and meaning of a song in order for you to convey it convincingly. A convincing performance, is a winning performance.
5. Just sing the tune. Don’t try to sound like Beyoncé or Mariah Carey doing vocal calisthenics. Remember that you can’t recreate a slicky produced sound in a chilly audition room. Just sing the song as it’s written. If you can sing, the judges will hear it.
5. Pick a song that showcases your voice and sing it.
6. We are looking for singers who are willing and ready to work. Someone with a hunger for success.
7. Be yourself, but also be charming, sweet and above all, humble.
8. When singing, be passionate. If you love singing and are 100% dedicated to it, the judges will notice that.
10. Practice makes perfect. There is no “make a miracle” way to prepare for the eliminating round. If you are serious about this, the best time to start is NOW!!! Focus on the tips already given. Sing for your friends. Allow them to criticize you. Listen to their critique. Perform for your class or friends, family etc. Perform in church, perform in front of the mirror. Practice daily, but practice PROPERLY.
11. If you choose to enter as a DUET, here is some good advice. DO NOT CHOOSE A PARTNER WHO IS SIMPLY ENCOURAGING AND WHO IS YOUR BEST FRIEND WHO WILL SUPPORT YOU THE MOST. IF THIS PERSON HAS THE VOICE TO MATCH YOURS – GO FOR IT. IF NOT – STAY CLEAR. DUETS ARE TRICKY AS TO BLENDING, COLOR AND HARMONIZATION. MAKE SURE THAT YOU CHOOSE THE PERSON WHO WILL MATCH YOUR VOICE PERFECTLY.
12. FINALLY – simply enter the room – focus and perform to the very best of your ability.
All entry forms must reach the organizer at above-mentioned address e-mail, and or fax number NOT LATER than MONDAY 24TH JUNE 2019. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!