Poetry is writing that rhymes or has a rhythmic structure. Candidates are free to write poems in any genre, whether it be, narrative poetry, epic, dramatic, satirical, lyric, elegy, verse fable, prose poetry, speculative etc. and of any appropriated length as long as the FORM, RHYTHM, METER AND METRICAL PATTERNS found in poems are adhered to. In the higher grades, (Grades 10 – 12), the adjudicators will probe for more in- depth creativity, detailed attention to technical matters and precision of language.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Teachers and Parents are NOT allowed to assist candidates in their writing works. This is of paramount importance. Teachers are not at liberty to rectify any spelling or grammatical mistakes for candidates. Teachers are requested to sign the declaration of oath ON THE ENTRY FORM, stating that it is indeed the ORIGINAL work of the candidate without interference of the teacher or parent. The best way for teachers to control and oversee this matter is to allow candidates to write their original work IN CLASS under supervision and to assemble all work at the end of the period. NO OUTSIDE SOURCES FOR EXAMPLE, dictionaries or internet may be used. Should the adjudicator suspect any interference of the teacher or parent, the entry will be considered invalid and will be penalised. Such a candidate will forfeit the entry fee. This equally apply to High School candidates as well.
- Poems to be written neatly or typed.
- Candidates are allowed to submit two poems in either language. Candidates are again reminded that two separated entry forms must be completed and accompanied by the appropriated fee.
- Language: English or Afrikaans
- Subject: Own choice
- This session is NOT OPEN FOR GRADES 1 AND 2
Type of Poems, length and subject is entirely the candidates own choice.